THE FORTRESSES AND CHURCHES OF TRANSYLVANIA
Râşnov Citadel is today one of the most important medieval monuments in Romania. The first medieval fortress in Râșnov was built by the Saxons and Teutonic knights in the period 1211–1225, and after the expulsion of the Crusaders, the wood and earth fortress was transformed into a stone one by the Saxons.
Rising from its own ruins, the Feldioara Citadel, also called Marienburg, rises imposingly in Feldioara, on the banks of the Olt river, only 20 km from Brașov, on the road to Sighișoara. Its restoration saved the remains of the walls that had survived the last hundreds of years of abandonment and restored its appearance in the 17th century. The oldest documentary attestation places it in 1225.
The oldest historical monument in Braşov county also houses the Saxon Fortified Evangelical Church in the locality, also called the jewel of Transylvania. The construction of the church was started by Odin of the Teutonic Knights in 1218, continued in the early Burgundian Gothic style. This tourist attraction is included in the UNESCO World Heritage.
Rupea Citadel, as it appears to us today, covers an area of almost 11ha with walls, towers and inner courtyards. Due to its dominant position near the European road E60, it is a remarkable presence from a long distance.
One of the strong fortresses of Transylvania. Today it houses the Făgăraş Country Museum, which includes collections of archaeology, history, ethnography.
Fortified Evangelical Church from Codlea
The oldest and most important architectural monument of Codlea.
Harman Fortified Evangelical Church
The citadel church in Harman with its imposing walls, seven defensive cannons and bell tower visible from a distance is a gem among the many fortified churches of the Saxons in Transylvania.
The fortified church of Ghimbav
The fortified church of Ghimbav dates from the 14th century, being a typical evangelical construction.
Viscri Fortified Church
The fortified church in Viscri is an impressive example of defensive architecture typical of Transylvania. Due to its historical cultural value, the center of the village together with the fortified church were included in the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list in 1999.